Rewarded with the SEMIKRON Young Engineer Award 2018, ACDC Cube is a single-stage, bidirectional and high-frequency isolated power conversion system. ACDC Cube also uses a novel control method to do the interface between the Alternate Current (AC) distribution networks and a battery pack, or other Direct Current (DC) sources/loads, delivering higher power quality in a compact design.
ACDC Cube has lower total volume and weight, increased durability and equivalent reliability when compared with a standard solution such as the voltage source converter plus dual active bridge. Due to its innovative features, ACDC Cube is especially suitable for applications where the size of the power conversion system is critical.
Challenge | Opportunity
The need to integrate renewable energy sources and heavy loads such as electric vehicles in the low voltage grid is demanding for more flexible and reliable solutions, such as community energy storage or vehicle-to-grid (V2G). Moreover, conventional power conversion systems are bulky and heavy.
INESC TEC engineers have developed the ACDC Cube technology to offer new options for micro-generation systems, including bidirectional conversion of electrical energy between home batteries or electric vehicles (DC) and the public electric grid (AC), or any other devices where dimensions restrictions are critical.
- Compact solution with reduced weight and volume achieved through a new hardware solution;
- Improved power quality in the electric grid interconnection due to the use of a new control approach;
- Higher durability and reliability by using less capacitors;
- Safe operation provided by galvanic isolation.
- Vehicle-to-grid (V2G), enabling the bidirectional power flow between an electric vehicle (EV) and the electric grid;
- Aeronautical and aerospace applications where the size and volume of the power converters is critical;
- Energy storage systems;
- Solar inverter with integrated energy storage;
- Community energy storage.
Development StageLab prototype (TRL 3-4)
Further Information<div class=""><a href="https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/biblio?CC=US&NR=9973107B2&KC=B2&FT=D" target="_blank">US9973107 (B2)</a></div> <div class=""><a href="https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/originalDocument?FT=D&date=20170921&DB=&locale=&CC=JP&NR=2017528102A&KC=A&ND=1" target="_blank">JP2017528102 (A)</a></div> <div class=""><a href="https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/biblio?CC=EP&NR=3180849A1&KC=A1&FT=D" target="_blank">EP3180849 (A1)</a></div> <div class=""> <p>Semikron Young Engineer Award 2018</p> </div>
IPR StatusPatent Granted
TagsPower Conversion System, Energy Storage, Electrical mobility, Smart grids, Renewables, Efficiency, Power electronics