Beat ID is a biometric technology for fast identity verification. Based on the recognition of ECG morphology-derived waveform characteristics present in a single heartbeat, Beat ID uses innovative algorithms to ensure high-performance results with accuracy values up to 97%. This technology developed at INESC TEC aims to provide a safer, reliable and portable alternative solution for personal identification, following the growing trend of biometrics-based identity recognition.
Challenge | Opportunity
With the increasing need for identity recognition by official institutions or private companies and the insufficient assurance of traditional methods such as passwords or encryption keys, biometric measurement for recognizing an individual appeared as a promising alternative. Nevertheless, available biometric methods, though showing high accuracy, still present some drawbacks such as high rate of False Rejection (fingerprint recognition) and complexity (iris system).
In this sense, Beat ID arrives as a method to recognize an individual through the characteristics of a single heartbeat, a more robust biometric signature not affected by personal changes, hard to steal and impossible to mimic, being unique and intrinsic to each subject. Being a fast and reliable method, it can be easily embedded in small-scale devices, with simple, low-cost and low-power hardware.
- Accuracy up to 97,45% at identifying an individual;
- Secure – ECG signal is unique and difficult to mimic;
- Fast identification with just one or two heartbeats;
- Affordable and accurate solution ready for use with simple, low cost and low energy consumption hardware;
- Low rate of false rejection (~3.4%), guaranteeing a good productivity of the method.
- User interaction and personalisation for entertainment and gaming industry;
- Data protection and identity confirmation for banks and law enforcement agencies;
- Fast identification of patients and clinical data validation for Healthcare;
- Reliable identity recognition for social services.
Development StageLab prototype (TRL 3-4)
Further Information<p><a href="http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article/file?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0180942&type=printable" target="_blank">Beat-ID: Towards a computationally low-cost single heartbeat biometric identity check system based on electrocardiogram wave morphology</a></p> <p><a href="https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/biblio?KC=A1&CC=WO&NR=2017187422&FT=E&DB=EPODOC&locale=en_EP" target="_blank">WO2017187422</a></p> <p> </p>
IPR StatusPatent pending
Industrial CategoriesInformation and Communication, Arts, entertainment, and recreation, Healthcare, Business finance and management
TagsPublic health and primary care, Wearable, Biometrics, Identification systems, Personal data security, Cybersecurity