About Power and Energy
The cities of the future will be places of intense energy exchanges with strongly distributed generation and storage (home and electric cars) and not only consumption. The dissemination of the smart grid concept demands original solutions with massive integration of renewable energy into telecommunications, controls and new devices.
The cluster is focused on traditional and emerging areas of Power and Energy Systems, for planning and operation purposes, with an emphasis on the integration of renewable energy sources (RES), deployment of electric vehicles, management of distributed energy resources (DER), demand response (DR), smart grids and energy analytics. For that, the cluster uses steady state and dynamic network analysis, reliability models and tools, optimisation and soft computing, and forecasting.
Main research areas
- Co-simulation in Electrical Networks
- Multi-energy Networks
- Large-scale Modelling of Energy Systems
- Weather Intelligence Applied to Power Systems
- Stochastic Optimisation of Energy Systems
- Predictive Maintenance and Asset Management
- Towards 100% RES Integration and Massive Integration of Power Electronic-based Interfaces
- Smart-grid Hardware
- New Marketplaces for Energy Services
- Cybersecurity of the Grid
- System Resilience, Power System Planning, Energy Efficiency